Program Option C: Writing-related Internship
For this option, students will be required to arrange/secure their own internship with a writing-related organization. The Magid Center uses the same minimum requirements for an internship as the UI Pomerantz Career Center:
- Professional experience which relates to writing (i.e. in publishing, marketing, grant-writing, etc.)
- At least 80% professional work
- Occupies at least one academic term (fall, spring or summer)
- Requires continuous supervision by a professional in the field (not a student)
- Must participate in the internship and take the course during the same semester
- Must work a minimum of 6 weeks at the internship site
- 1-3 satisfactory/unsatisfactory credit hours available based on number of hours working in internship
- 1 credit hour for 75 hours of internship experience
- 2 credit hours for 150 hours of internship experience
- 3 credit hours for 225 hours of internship experience
In addition to securing the internship, students must enroll in WRIT:3900 Writing: Undergraduate Internship for 1-3 s.h. This provides departmental oversight for the internship and guides students through a series of reflections on their internship experience and how it relates to their academic, professional, and creative goals. Note that tuition is charged for credit earned; more information can be found on the Registrar's website.
Students wishing to fulfill the Capstone requirement by completing a writing-related intership should make an appointment with Danny Khalastchi, Director of the Certificate in Writing Program to receive permisison to enroll in WRIT:3900. Appointments can be made via the scheduler in MyUI, or by calling our front desk at 319.384.1328.